Meals on Wheels home delivered meals provides a hot meal to individuals who are unable to shop and prepare food on their own. People may receive home delivered meals for an extended period of time or on a temporary basis due to illness or following release from the hospital. Meals are generally delivered to your home by volunteers.
Eligibility criteria for clients to receive Meals on Wheels:
- 60 years of age or older, or a spouse of someone 60 years of age or older
- Unable to leave the home under normal circumstances
- Unable to prepare meals or obtain food
- Unable to dine at a Senior Luncheon Center
- No person is available who would be able and willing to prepare all meals
- Dietary needs can be appropriately met by the program
- Able to feed himself/herself
- Able to be home when meals are delivered, or contact the Meals on Wheels office when absence is unavoidable.
- Able to be available for in-home assessments, to ensure that Meals on Wheels is meeting their needs and to connect them with community resources and to help them be safe, healthy, and independent in their homes.
Home delivered meals are available seven days per week in Valley City (excluding major holidays). Delivery of meals begins at 11:30 AM Monday through Friday, at noon on Saturdays, and 12:30 PM on Sundays.
Please reserve meals at least one day in advance. Home delivered meals are not served on legal holidays. All meals provide a minimum of one third of the Required Daily Allowance (RDA). There is no set fee for home delivered meals. Participants are informed of the suggested contribution prior to receiving meals. SNAP benefits (food stamps) are an accepted method of contribution for home delivered meals.
For more information, or to request home delivered meals, call the Valley City office at 845-4300.
If you have not received home delivered meals in the recent past, an outreach worker will call on you shortly after you begin receiving meals to assess your needs.